All pages on this site are copyright © 2000-2017. Please request permission to use content. Thank you.
Made with Xara
Cheese Guilds and Trade Groups
California Artisan Cheese Guild
Maine Cheese Guild
New York State Farmstead & Artisan Cheesemakers' Guild
Ohio Farmstead-Artisan Cheese Guild
Ontario Cheese Society has joined
Oregon Cheese Guild
Specialist Cheesemakers Association
Southern Cheesemakers' Guild
Syndicat des producteurs de chèvres du Québec
Vermont Cheese Council
Washington Cheese Guild
Washington State Cheesemakers Association
Wisconsin Dairy Artisan Network
Dairy Breed Organizations
Other Dairy & Support Organizations
American Cheese Society
American Micro Dairies
is a nonprofit, membership-based organization that promotes and facilitates the local, sustainable and humane
production and sale of farm fresh milk. AMD supports the movement to re-establish the direct link between farms and consumers
Animal Welfare Approved
(AWA) - offers accreditation for high-welfare, independent family farms and offer grants, advising and
(used to be Appropriate Technology Transfer something-something, now National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service) -
excellent resource for small-scale farmers -
Babcock Institute for International Dairy Research & Development
, including the
Wisconsin Dairy Artisan Research Program
- a watchdog group for organic production; organic dairy is a major emphasis.
Sign up for their alerts!
The Dairy Practices Council
is a non-profit organization that publishes detailed educational guidelines for the dairy industry. In recent
years they have done more on small-scale operations and small ruminants. SmallDairy.Com visitors can take 15% off any DPC Guideline
product. Visit the DPC web site, order guidelines, and enter Discount Code: smalldairy
The Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
assists small-scale farmers on legal issues; they have been in the forefront when it comes
to defending raw milk producers.
Fédération des Producteurs de Lait du Québec
Food & Water Watch
keeps readers informed on many issues involving protection of food and water. Sign up for action alerts!
National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) - see
Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance
has resources for organic and transitioning dairy farmers, organic production educators,
certifiers and interested consumers.
Oldways Cheese Coalition
supports the production of artisan, raw-milk, and traditional cheese. Our diverse educational programing and
advocacy efforts make us a leading authority in the cheese community.
Raw Milk Association of Colorado
- association of raw milk producers and consumers who advocate for the availability of traditional raw
milk products and seek to ensure a safe supply.
is an international organization dedicated to the appreciation and preservation of traditional foods. They host huge cheese
festivals in Italy in alternate years, as well as international meetings of food producers.
Southeast Dairy Foods Research Center
The Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota has a nice
artisan cheesemaking page
University of Vermont Center for Sustainable Agriculture
has various resources available to small-scale farmers. By searching the site
you can find old newsletters and other information from the
Small Ruminant Dairy Project
, which appears to no longer be in existence.
Vermont Institute for Artisan Cheese
no longer offers workshops, but has ongoing research projects.
Wisconsin Center for Dairy Research
web page has a free
newsletter available online. Unfortunately the CDR
discontinued their cheese database.
Online Discussion Groups
There are many dairy- and animal-related discussion groups on YahooGroups. Just
go to the site
and type in the name
of the group or search for your area of interest. Be specific. Most likely you'll be given many to choose from.
(Unfortunately if you just search for "dairy" you will get a lot of anti-dairy lists as well.) A few favorites include:
Artisan Cheesemakers - Once a very active list on YahooGroups. Now inactive.
Artisan Cheesemakers Cave
- Small, rather quiet group. Seems to be mostly home-level cheesemakers.
Would benefit from additional members to help keep it active.
- Discussion group, strictly for licensed small-scale commercial dairies and creameries. Wannabes should apply to
- Quite an active group discussing dairy sheep and the dairy sheep industry.
- Explore the possibilities of starting a commercial dairy (milking) or creamery (making dairy products). There are some
experienced folks on this list to help answer questions.
familycow - It appears this group has been hit by spambots. Not recommended.
- Apparently no longer limited to goat cheese. Content now includes all types of dairy, cheese, and dairy-related
- If you don’t mind getting hundreds of e-mails about dairy goats each month (thousands at times), this may be the list
- This list is to discuss the art of preparing traditional milk kefir of Caucasus with kefir-grains, and water kefir prepared with
- a forum for farmers, service providers and supporters of organic dairy.
- Topics include health and nutrition, cows, goats, sheep, butter, cream, kefir, yogurt, cheese, whey, buttermilk and all the
issues around these, including political, social and economic.
- Just what it says.
also has some cheesemaking discussion groups, but most seem to be limited to localities or followups to
cheese courses. A search of “dairy” on GoogleGroups yields more possibilities, but I’ll leave that to you. Participation
seems to be low on most of them.
If you prefer to visit a site for discussions, rather than receiving e-mails, try a message board.
- Somewhat active bulletin board with many different categories. Includes a classified section for cheese equipment.
Family Cow Proboards
- Appears to be quite an active bulletin board with lots of available topics.
- interesting musings about cheese
Home Dairy News
Small Dairy Resource Book
Dairy Animals Wanted
Business for Sale
Beginning and home-level courses
Tastings and Festivals
International Equipment Sources
Support and Research
Southwest & Pacific
Nationwide and Non-U.S.
Guilds & Other Groups